Friday, May 20, 2011

Kids listen... even to the gospel

Yesterday, my five-year old and I were playing the rhyming. I pick a word, and he says a word that rhymes with it. Then he picks a word and I rhyme. I am thankful that when he threw out the word "bucket" my censor kicked and I didn't blurt out the first thing that came to mind, AND that my wife shortly thereafter rescued me with "Nantucket."

But then we were cruising along.

"door" -- "floor"
"power" -- "sour"
"why" -- "fly"
Then I said "pen" and he replied with "sen."

"That's not a word, buddy. It needs to be a word."
"Yes it is."
"No it's not."
"Uh-huh!" And then he threw out a quickly rambled sentence in which the only word I really recognized was "bath-tized." (For some reason baptized comes out bath-tized, which is ok for me right now)
"What was that?"
"Sen. you know, like when people are bath-tized."
"Ummm..... no, I still don't know what you mean."
"Oh yeah," he said, "I guess you have to die because of it."
THEN it hit me... Sen was really SIN.
"OH! You mean sin!"
"Yeah, that's what I said! When you are bath-tized, your sen is washed away."
"Sin, buddy, sin [emphasizing the "i" sound]
"Oh, ok..." and then we were off to something else.

A brief encounter with the gospel because kids listen and will repeat at the most unexpected moment. Thanks be to God.

No comments: