Monday, February 28, 2011

The God who does not multi-task: Sermon for the 8th Sunday after the Epiphany

So due to a rampaging illness that left my wife and oldest child incapacitated for a day, I had to stay home caring for them instead of being at church hanging out in the pulpit. In addition I was not feeling all too well myself, so I was not sure that I would not succumb to this intestinal disaster myself.

So I forwarded my mostly done sermon to my congregation's president and she passed it on to my lay assistant that day, who performed very well in reading it.

I am putting forward my sermon's text as it was read (read it here or in the box below).


The only thing I wish is that I had had more time to develop the notion at the end that Christ was not a multi-tasker, but remained singularly focused on God's desire. That is the good news after all, as we contemplate the Sermon on the Mount. That the demands of the sermon are based on the person giving them. The devotion he calls for is the devotion he lives. In our union with Christ in the waters of baptism, our old selves die so that the new self might be raised up and live in the power of Christ as he calls us.

No comments: