Saturday, August 22, 2009

ELCA Churchwide Assembly--Big news

When I turned on Headline News this morning, the very first thing I saw was a short clip about the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America's Churchwide Assembly being held in Minneapolis this week had approved the resolution that opens the door to the rostering of gays and lesbians in publicly accountable, lifelong, monogamous relationships.

Following the vote, Bishop Hanson gave a response. You can view his response here at the online archive.

3 comments:

Jonathan Neiderhiser said...

It will be interesting to see how this all turns out. I find the bishop's response somewhat bland, as usual...

Pastor Joelle said...

I thought the bishop's response was wonderful, as did most of the people I know who were there and heard it. Of course that was mostly people who were not disposed to think unkindly of him in the first place.

GeekChurch said...

I think it was probably something that needed to be experienced. I watched it on recorded video. I just found it vague. If folks at the assembly and elsewhere found it helpful, I am pleased. I did not find much help there. I was pleased that he was explicit about folks being able to disagree and remain, no matter what I believe I am glad to hear that.